Sunday, June 24, 2007

Excerpt 4 - Off to GOC

....Outside the window, the brown countryside was gradually giving way to a green one. Swaying coconut palms- myriads of them- welcomed us to the land of coconuts.
Lush green paddy fields flowed past. The purple lines of hilltops rose behind them on the horizon, scalloping the sky. Slowly, the sun rose above them, heralding the birth of a new day.

I was in God's own country where the sun smiled, the rain danced and thunder applauded as nature sashayed down the catwalk in all her finery. Here, nature was endowed with an abundance of beauty, grace and charm in such measure that tourists often exclaimed, "Surely, this must be God's own country!", and the tourism people decided to use this expression to their advantage in luring more tourists to Kerala.

God’s own country with its fields and rivers, lapping lagoons and bewitching backwaters was a treat to the eyes. I looked out of the window at the scenes racing backwards as the train raced forward. But I was hardly appreciating the beauty of the land. My mind was racing. Racing backwards. Through months, through years, through decades……………

-Geeta Abraham Jose (By the River Pampa I stood)


Dear blogger friends,

Yay! I'm off on a vacation to Kerala. Will miss you all. See you in August. Have fun, keep writing and KEEP SMILING!!!!

5 comments:

VIDYA said...

:-) geeta chechyyy..... do come back with many pictures and blog posts ... :-)

Unknown said...

Hi Geeta,

That's lovely prose I like it.

Off to Kerala? have a nice time by the Pampa river.

I will be there around July 21.

Best

J

hope and love said...

u r in kerala..? great..! plz contact me if u r coming to trivandrum. my phone no: is 9995458171

jac said...

OMG ! Why you didn't tell me that you are going ?

We must have passed each other umpteen number of times some where !!! I was there too...may be in a kettuvanchi or a kothumbu vallam at kainakari.

I have travelled in those ancient ones so many times with my valiammachy who in my opinion is a man woman.LOL

Anonymous said...

Ur Geeta Abraham Jose?
And u have read The God of Small Things?
Strange how ur book and that one are uncannily unsimilar? More like EXACTLY THE SAME?