Saturday, May 12, 2007

Happy Mother's Day!


I have this beautiful poem taped to my dressing table and I read it almost everyday as I get ready for office. I'm sure no working mom would be able to read through the entire poem without a pang of guilt in her heart or a tear in her eye....


When Time Flies By!!!!

My hands were busy through the day;
I didn’t have much time to play.
The little games you asked to do,
I didn’t have much time for you.
I’d wash your clothes;I’d sew and cook
But when you bring your picture book
And ask me to share in your laughter
I'd say, "a little later, daughter"
I’d tuck you in all safe at night,
And hear your prayers; turn out the light.
Then tiptoe softly by your door,
I wish I’d stayed a minute more.
For life is short, the years rush past,
A little girl grows up so fast.
No longer is she at your side,
Her precious secrets to confide.
The picture books are put away'
There are no longer games to play.
No Teddy Bears or misplaced toys,
No sleepovers with lots of noise.
No goodnight kiss, no prayers to hear,
That all belongs to yesteryear.
My hands, once busy, now are still,
The days are long and hard to fill.
I wish I could go back and do
The little things you asked me to.

Anonymous

Happy Mother's Day, everyone!!!

7 comments:

Dotm said...

Nice poem, and Oh so true. One minute they are babies, and in no time they are grown with babies of their own. If only we had more time when ours were small like retirement gives us to spend with the grandkids and great grandkids.
Everything got so expensive that most Mom`s had to go to work and leave their darlings just to provide for them better. I wish all babies could have full time Mom`s at home until they were old enough to start going to school.

Nav said...

Geets,

I just stumbled on your blog (and am glad I did). Glad to have discovered another Indian Women writer. I would love to read your book. Will have to check if it is available anywhere here.

Cheers,
Nav

Pam said...

Hi Geets,

I love this poem. It makes me wistful - my little girl is all grown up and will leave us in the fall. Even though I was a stay-at-home mom and we are the best of friends, I keep thinking about all the things I wish I could go back and make sure we did!

Geets said...

Dot : I do agree :)

Nav : Thanks for visiting my blog. I look forward to keeping in touch with you as we share the same interest in books. I read your review on Anita Desai's book too. Keep writing reviews of books you come across.
Thanks for the interest you've shown in my book. The book is available with many online stores like indiaclub.com; aggarwaloverseas.com; thebookplace.com etc. Just type the title and author's name in Google and you will get many more.
Btw, have you published any books? I couldn't open your Short Story blog...

Geets said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Geets said...

Pam : Thanks for stopping by...I guess we are in the same boat...I too have a daughter in her teens who will be going to the University in a year's time and I am already thinking about how much I'm going to miss her...Keep sharing thoughts....

Mahi said...

good post!