Saturday, September 08, 2007

Dot's Tag of Fav Smells

I'm doing Dot's Tag....Here is my list of favourite smells:

1. The smell of the earth just after the first monsoon rain...did you know that it's called "petrichor"?
2. The mild fragrance of Johnson's Baby Powder...it takes me back to the time my daughter was a sweet little baby
3. The aroma of my mom's chicken stew brewing in the pot...yummmm
4. The smell of new books...something I loved as a child and still do.
5. The ethereal smell of coffee blossoms back home in Kerala....

Now, its my turn to tag:
Vidya, Jac and Hillgrandmom

8 comments:

jac said...

OMG ! I didn't know, just stepped in and there my name...another tag for me ??

But you are supposed to annonce me at my blog !! Alle ?

Geets said...

Jac, I've done it already!!!

Unknown said...

wow.... tht s lowely tag... but urs has all the smells i like :-) except coffe blossoms but i like te smell of freshly brewed coffe. am doing it rite awa y

Geets said...

Twinkletoes,
I look forward to reading yours

jac said...

Next is for you !

hillgrandmom said...

geets you've been tagged! will do your tag shortly.

Dotm said...

Thanks Geets.
I have a question- just how do you pronounce the word 'petricher"- pet`richer or pe`tricher, or does the ch have the "itch" or the "ick' sound? You taught me a new word, now I need to know how to say it.
Since we don`t grow coffee plants where I live, I have never smelled a coffee leaf. Is it like coffee only stronger? Or does the aroma change completely when coffee grounds are produced?
Now baby powder does have it`s own sweet odor, especially when added to that wonderful new born smell.
Thanks again for doing the Tag.

Geets said...

Dot....Thanks ,

It's pronounced as "ik"

petrichor (PET-ri-kuhr) noun

The pleasant smell that accompanies the first rain after a dry spell.

[From petro- (rock), from Greek petros (stone) + ichor (the fluid that is supposed to flow in the veins of the gods in Greek mythology). Coined by researchers I.J. Bear and R.G. Thomas.]

"Petrichor, the name for the smell of rain on dry ground, is from oils given off by vegetation, absorbed onto neighboring surfaces, and released into the air after a first rain."